Lighthouse Cafe, Port Fairy Folk Festival
Launching our new album 'Twinlines' on stage 5 at Port Fairy
Sunday morning at Port Fairy 'Women in voice' ....wonderful to play with these amazing women ~ Christine Anu, Ruthie Foster, The Nymphs, Lisa Hannigan and Kate Miller-Heidke
Alanna & Alicia launched 'Twinlines', their long awaited third album of original folky/jazz/roots songs at the Port Fairy Folk Festival in March.
The album was recorded, mixed and mastered by Craig Pilkington at Audrey Studios and produced by Craig, Alanna & Alicia.
Their fine band features Damien Neil (guitar), Matiss Schubert (violin, mandolin, accordion), Silas Palmer (piano), Mark Elton (double bass) and Denis Close (drums and percussion), with special guest Pugsley Buzzard on the charmingly, irresistible duet 'The Early Bird and the Night Owl'.
'Twinlines' has a diverse collection of new songs ~
'Double Trouble', their most requested song at gigs, is an hilarious satire for twins everywhere, while the melancholy ballad 'Blue Birthday' offers a comforting alternative to the most sung song in the world, and 'Songlines' explores the enchanting world of indigenous culture and laments the impact of mining.
The album opens with the catchy, folk fable, 'Sister Blister' and closes with yelping fiddles, wailing trumpets, clarinets and sax in a full band gypsy romp arrangement of another gig favourite 'Waltz of the Last Lover.'
Alanna & Alicia collaborated with guitarist Andy Baylor on two songs, 'Rosalie' and 'Over Time,' and they have included 'Fly Like a Bird' by John Beavis as a tribute to the singer/songwriter, who was an inspiration to them when they first began writing songs.
'Twinlines' is available through Vitamin Records and iTunes.
THE JONI PROJECT
The beautiful album 'festival folk sing Joni Mitchell' is now available. We can mail you a copy if you send $28 to Maudee Egan, 63 Russell St, Bendigo 3550 ~ that covers postage & packaging as well. Artists featured include Kavisha Mazzella, Kristina Olsen, Chris While, Julie Matthews, Ruth Bourke, Kate Fagan, Ange Takats, Akasa, The Spooky Men's Chorale, Liz Frencham and more.....and us of course. The album was reviewed in last month's Trad and Now magazine by John Tilbrook ~ 'a diverse group of highly talented musicians pay worthy tribute to the divine Joni... a brave, exhilarating and successful tribute... performers have sought to interpret rather than imitate her.'
At the Troubadour, National Folk Festival 2010. photo: Peter Saunders
house concert at Yowrie NSW. Please contact Alanna & Alicia if you'd like to host a house concert.
Sunday Herald Sun May 30th, 2010 Review by Anna Rodway Folk/Jazz ****
Alanna & Alicia's playfully witty 'Two in a Book' is the second outing for the Melbourne twins. They spin heartfelt lyrics with toe tapping tunes such as 'When You Come Back' with a truthful earnestness. There is an honest and unaffected beauty about their folk – jazz style and sweet, harmonious vocals. 'Big White Dressses' speaks of 'Rathdowne St cafes' and St Vincent's Hospital, adding to the album a relatable and quaint charm. 'Little Bitter Song' is an amusing glimpse into the frenzied world of songwriting and “All I Want' is a different take on Joni Mitchell's tune. Each ditty is masterfully composed, with Amy Bennett's haunting violin making an aesthetically pleasing album. File Between : The Waifs, The Indigo Girls
Review by Tony Hillier ~ RHYTHMS MAGAZINE May, 2010 ALANNA & ALICIA 'Two in a Book'
Alanna & Alicia Egan are singing twin siblings from Melbourne who twist folk, ragtime, blues, jazz and other roots styles into their own deliciously idiosyncratic and saucy songs. Two in a Book offers some wry and frank – if sometimes verbose – observations on love and life, from a twenties to thirties demograpghic. That their originals sit comfortably beside an interesting interpretation of Joni Mitchell's 'All I Want' – the set's sole cover – is testimony to the quality and quirky nature of their words and melodies. Their lyrics are delivered with verve and the kind of close harmonies you'd expect of sisters, to consummate backing from the likes of guitarists Andy and Peter Baylor and multi instrumentalist Amy Bennett (piano, viola and violin).
* Anyone interested in purchasing a CD can order one by emailing us, grab one at a gig or at:
Readings, Lygon Street, Carlton
- Pure Pop Records, Barkly St, St Kilda
Our CDs 'Twinlines' and 'Two in a Book' are available through Vitamin Records at all good record stores or online at: www.vitamin.net.au
To drop us a line or to just find out when our next gig is you can email us at:
** MYSPACE **
See and hear songs from our new album at:
GIGS COMING UP
- Friday, June 14th, 8pm CD Launch @ the Velvet Room, Thornbury Theatre, 859 High St, with Pugsley Buzzard & Carolina Cordeiro
- Friday, July 26th, 8pm Harmonie German Club, Canberra
- Saturday, July 27th, 8pm CD Launch Troubadour Folk Club, Woy Woy, NSW
- Sunday, July 28th, 2pm CD Launch Humph Hall, Allambie Heights, Northern Beaches NSW
- Friday, August 16th CD Launch, Bendigo Folk Club, Under the Grandstand, Queen Elizabeth Oval, View St, Bendigo, Vic
- Friday, September 6th, The Front, Lyneham, Canberra
- Saturday, September 7th, house concert, Cadgee, NSW
- Sunday, September 8th, house concert, Sussex Inlet, NSW
Our new album Twinlines is available from Vitamin Records - click here to buy it.
Our album 'Two in a book' is available online through Vitamin Records. Just click on the link:
Two In A Book
FESTIVALS WE'VE PLAYED
- Port Fairy Folk Festival 2013, 2010, 2008, 2006
- The National Folk Festival, Canberra 2010,2011
- Woodford Folk Festival, QLD 2010
- Brunswick Music festival 2010
- Tablelands Folk Festival, Yungaburra, Qld 2011
- Fairbridge, WA 2012
- Cobargo Folk Festival, NSW 2012
- Music at the Creek, Majors Creek NSW 2011
- Gorgeous Voices, Bendigo 2010
- Newstead Live! Vic 2010, 2013
- The Basin, Vic 2011,2010,2009,2008,2007
- Troubadour Weekend, Campaspe Downes, Vic 2010
- Darebin Music Feast, Melbourne 2011,2010,2009,2008,2007,
- Maldon Folk Festival, Vic 2011,2008
- Bendigo Blues & Roots Festival 2011
- Melodica. Melbourne 2006,2010
- Starry Summer Nights, Ballarat 2012
- Kangaroo Valley Folk Festival, NSW 2012
- Avoca Music Festival, Vic 2013
- St Albans Folk Festival,NSW, 2013